Working from home sounds like a dream for a lot of people! You can enjoy flexible hours, work in comfortable clothes, and you don’t need to spend a fortune on childcare. It’s not hard to see why more and more people are working from home. However, knowing where to start can be difficult. That is why we have put this guide together. Read on to find out everything you need to know.
What are your options?
The first thing you need to do is consider your options when working from home. There are a number of different avenues you can go down. This includes the following:
- Start your own business – If you are ready to be your own boss, why not start your own home business? There are many different opportunities you can go down, from selling to friends and family to purchasing an existing business. One thing you should never do, however, is dive in without giving it much thought. Once you have an idea, you need to research the market so that you can decipher whether your idea is feasible and how you are going to position yourself in the market.
- Find a new job – Of course, you could find a new job where you are able to work from home. Nowadays, business owners are becoming increasingly open to hiring remote workers. Popular home-based careers include positions in the following industries: web design, online marketing, arts and crafts, finance and accounting, admin, translation, search evaluation, online teaching, online data entry, transcription, and freelance writing.
- Turn your current job into a telecommuting position – Why not explore the option of turning your current job into a remote position? This may be a bit of a long shot for a lot of people reading this article, but it is definitely something that is worth enquiring about.
- Pick up some extra cash to supplement your existing income – If you are not ready to give up your current job, there are ways you can work from home to supplement your income. This includes website testing, taking surveys, and data entry. This is a great way to test the water if you are undecided.
Hopefully, you should now have a good idea regarding the route you want to take with regards to your home-based career. Now you need to start looking for opportunities, unless your employer has agreed to turn your job into a telecommuting position of course! So, how do you find opportunities to kick-start your quest to work from home?
- Ask friends and family – It is always a good idea to start by asking friends and family members. You never know who could help you. They may know a business owner who is looking for someone to do their bookkeeping or admin work on a part-time basis, and so this could be something that is feasible for both of you. If your friends or family can’t help you, don’t be disappointed, as there are plenty of other options…
- Use freelance websites to find work – Nowadays, there are a number of different freelance web portals for those looking for work as well as those seeking a specialist. These websites are particularly popular amongst those seeking writing, admin, design, and marketing work. You will be able to apply for different jobs, and you can manage it in the one place, which gives you an extra sense of security. You don’t have to worry about not being paid or the client ignoring your emails. Most web portals will lock the client’s funds until the job has been complete, after which they will be released to you.
- Email companies in your industry – Another option is to research companies relating to your specialism. For example, if you are a web designer, you should email web design companies across the country to find out whether they have any work available on a freelance basis or whether they would be interested in taking your contact details to keep you in mind should they go through a busy period.
- Market yourself – Last but by no means least, you need to promote yourself online. There are a number of different approaches you can use. For example, you could email those who may need your service. You should also make sure you are active on social media, and that you have a website, which displays your work and credentials. This will make you seem more professional and trustworthy. Whenever you complete a job for someone, get him or her to leave a review. This will help you to build up your online profile. And, don’t forget to incorporate search engine optimisation into your online marketing efforts, as this will help you to be more visible online and get more exposure, which should lead to more opportunities.
In today’s climate, it is possible to find a fulfilling way to work from home. Use the tips above and you could be taking the shortest commute possible each day – as you won’t have to leave the house!