How long after an work related accident do I have to report the injury to my employer?

Your employer must be told of any accidents that occur in the workplace as soon as possible. Should you suffer an injury whether minor or more severe, the incident must be officially recorded in the Accident Report Book that all businesses and companies are required to have by law. There are certain steps that must be followed when an accident occurs in the workplace which leaves you either injured or suffering from a work-related illness. To find out more, please read on.

Recording the Incident in the Accident Report Book

You must make  sure that your employer (or person in charge) records the incident that left you injured or suffering from a work-related incident in the accident report book and that they sign it in. If you find there is no Accident Report Book, you or a colleague should make a note of the incident, when it occurred and the extent of your injuries before sending a copy to your employer. You must keep a copy of the report for your own records.

What to do if you are unsure if you can claim?

If you are not sure if you are eligible to claim a fast way of getting free instant legal advice is through online live chat or you could call their free legal advice phone number the link is here Also remember each accident circumstances are different and a specialist will need know what happened in order to let you know if you have a valid claim.

Employee Injury At Work Advice

Employee Injury At Work Advice

Under UK law, all businesses and companies where 10 or more employees work,  are required to keep an Accident Report Book which is a legal requirement under RIDDOR – the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations

The details of an incident must be noted in an Accident Report Book as detailed below:

  • The cause of the accident
  • Full circumstances surrounding the accident

It is worth noting that even “near misses” must be recorded in an Accident Report Book as a way of identifying hazards that may be present in a workplace which can then be rectified with an end goal being to the working environment as safe as possible for all employees.

Should There be Easy Access to an Accident Report Book?

An Accident Report Book must be easily accessible so that it can be kept up to date. Companies and businesses employing 10 staff or more, must also keep an Accident Report Book and all records of incidents and accidents for three years. The reason being that you, as an employee have up to 3 years from the time of an accident to file a personal injury claim against an employer. With this said, certain environmental and health risk records must be kept for longer than three years.

Seeking Medical Attention As Soon As Possible

You should always seek medical attention following an accident at work even if you believe your injuries are minor. It is essential that you have an official medical record of your injuries more especially if you intend on filing a claim for compensation against your employer. This record is also necessary for when you claim any benefits you may be entitled to (more information on industrial injury benefits can be found here).

Reporting an Incident to the Health and Safety Executive

In some cases, an environment might not be “safe” for you to work in and if you believe you are being put at risk of being injured, you should discuss your concerns with a trade union representative and report the issues you have to the Health and Safety Executive. You have every right to protect yourself by not going to work until the environment has been made safe for all employees to do so.

Time Limits Associated with Work-related Personal Injury Claims

The time limit associated with work-related personal injury claims is 3 years from the date of when the incident occurred. Although, three years seems a long time, many work-related claims can be complicated and long-drawn out processes. As such, it is far better to begin your claim sooner rather than later and to seek expert legal advice from the word go to avoid falling foul of the time limit.

Seeking Legal Advice on Reporting a Work-related Accident at Work

If you are unsure on what to do having been involved in a work-related accident that left you injured, it is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible. You can contact Citizens Advice or if you are a member of a trade union, you could discuss the issue with your representative. With this said, you could also contact, and a solicitor who specialises in work-related personal injury claims, can offer you free legal advice, bearing in mind that the first consultation is free of charge. It is also worth noting that once a specialist solicitor has assessed your case and they believe you have a strong claim against an employer or other third party, they would agree to work with you on a No Win No Fee basis. In short, you would have nothing to pay for your legal representation if your claim is unsuccessful.